Number of Tigers in India 

Number of Tigers in India 

Tigers are one of the most muscular and mighty big cats in the world. Tigers have been present in India since 12,000 to 16,500 years. But now this big cat is becoming an endangered species. Tigers can survive up to 20 years in the wild. The average body length of the Royal Bengal Tiger is estimated from its nose to the tip of the tail can reach up to 3 meters and it can weight up to 280 Kilograms with males being heavier than females. There was a time when No of Tigers in India are reducing rapidly because of Tiger hunting. In the last few years, tiger hunting is reduced due to strictness by the government of India & The forest department of the government of India. 


In 2001, No of Tigers in India is 3642 which is around 40% of the world’s population, this number has decreased to 1,411 due to Tiger Hunting and lack of forest area. After 2010 many National parks were transformed into Tiger Reserves and this number starts increasing and now in 2023, India holds 70% of the world’s tiger population which is 3167. If you compare this number with other countries there are 4500 tigers in the wild, out of them 3167 are in India. Tigers are of many types some of them are extinct. The Royal Bengal Tiger & Siberian Tigers are commonly seen in the National park of India and Siberian.


India is a home to the Tigers, India holds 70% of the Tiger’s population and the rest of the world holds only 30%.

Number of Tigers in India 

Why Tiger is Important for our Ecosystem?

Tigers are carnivorous animals and they play a very important role in the food chain. Tigers & other big cats sit at the top of the food chain. If they get vanished then the number of herbivorous animals will increase and they will start consuming more grass & without grass and trees oxygen cannot be made so living would not be possible for anybody. This is a reason why saving the tigers and other carnivorous animals is important.


Now tigers are found in 17 states of India and these numbers are increasing year by year. We will show you the numbers of tigers in India, state-wise & Tiger Reserves in India.  


According to Tiger Census 2023, This is the state-wise list of Number of Tigers in India. 

StatesNumber of Tigers
Madhya Pradesh526
Karnataka524
Uttarakhand442
Maharashtra312
Tamil Nadu264
Kerala190
Assam190
Uttar Pradesh173
West Bengal131
Rajasthan91
Andhra Pradesh48
Bihar31
Arunachal Pradesh29
Odisha28
Chhattisgarh19
Jharkhand05
Goa03

There are a total of 54 Tiger Reserves in India out of which some Tiger Reserves are holding a large number of the tiger population. Although Madhya Pradesh has a total of 6 tiger reserves and also has the highest number of Tigers in India which is 526. Uttrakhand’s Jim Corbett Tiger Reserve has 252 Tigers inside the reserve & 266 using the reserve this is the highest number if you compare it with any other Tiger Reserve in India. 


No of Tigers according to Tiger Reserves

  • Jim Corbett Tiger Reserve: 252
  • Bandipur Tiger Reserve: 173
  • Nagarhole Tiger Reserve: 164
  • Mudumalai Tiger Reserve: 162
  • Kaziranga Tiger Reserve: 135
  • Ranthambore Tiger Reserve: 86

Read more Wildlife Blogs: Click Here

5 thoughts on “Number of Tigers in India ”

    1. Thanks for reaching out and providing valuable feedback. We will keep improving our website in term of quality and providing valuable content as per our users wants

  1. Hey! I know this is kinda off topic but I’d figured I’d ask.
    Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest writing a blog post or vice-versa?
    My site discusses a lot of the same topics as
    yours and I think we could greatly benefit from each other.
    If you happen to be interested feel free to send me an e-mail.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Great blog by the way!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *